Friday, February 10, 2012

Graham, Stokoe, and Niles Help Friedrich's $17,000 Marvel Court Payment

Brandon Graham's Ghost Rider says "fuck Marvel."

In the past few days, many comic blogs have been abuzz with Marvel's screw-happy, counterclaim lawsuit filed against former Ghost Rider artist Gary Friedrich. The court ordered payment of $17,000 filed against Friedrich has left the artist in a world of financial pain. Gary Friedrich wrote on FaceBook:

"Since the various news agencies and websites have reported the ruling against me on my claims against Marvel in the Ghost Rider lawsuit, and the assesment of a $17,000 judgement against me and my company instead, I have read an amazing amount of comments in my support on the internet, and have received many messages of support directly. Although the reports of my employment situation and financial difficulties as well as problems with my health are unfortunately true, I want to let everyone in the comic book world, especially my supporters and fans of the Ghost Rider character whcih I invented, created, and wrote, that I am going to appeal the Court's ruling and continue to fight this as long as I am able and that your support of me means more than you will ever know. I have heard your voices. I thank you with all my heart, and I appreciate your thoughts and best wishes as I soldier on.
Feel free to keep in touch with me via e-mail: fgroovygary@aol.com
Thanks again and God bless you."

James Stokoe "esq." Ghost Rider
Now, comic book writers and creators are taking a stand against Marvel comics (owned by the corporate giant Disney) and are offering help in unique and inspiring ways. Two of my personal favorites, Brandon Graham (creator of King City, Multiple Warheads, and writer of Image's Prophet relaunch) and James Stokoe (creaor of Orc Stain, Wanton Soup, and Sullivan's Sluggers) have offered to donate 100% sales from the next 10 pages of King City sold and the next 10 pages of Orc Stain sold. Graham wrote on his blog Royal Boiler: "Marvel and DC seem to be having some bizarre contest on who can be shittier to the people who've done the best work for them." A wide selection of pages may be purchased now at McConnell Art.

Fellow comic book writer, Steve Niles (creator of 30 Days of Night and Criminal Macabre) is spearheading a relief fund for Friedrich. "As you can see in Gary's last update," Niles wrote on his website, "[Friedrich] is going to appeal but in the meantime, he and his lovely wife are broke and in need of our help. I've seen the comics community come together and it's a beautiful thing when it happens." Donations are encouraged and accepted now at Steve Niles website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment